Codex Diplomaticus Aevi Saxonici
Published in six volumes between 1839 and 1848, this was the first collected edition of the surviving corpus of Anglo-Saxon charters, comprising royal diplomas in Latin, as well as a variety of documents (wills, writs, etc.) in the vernacular (Old English). John Mitchell Kemble (1807-57) collected his material from many different places (the British Museum, the official records then in the Tower of London, cathedral archives, college libraries, and various private collections), and arranged it as best he could in chronological order. He believed passionately that he was laying foundations for a new history of the English people, and his pioneering work formed the basis for his study The Saxons in England (1849), also reissued in this series. Volume 2 of the Codex (1840) contains texts from the mid-ninth to the mid-tenth century, ending with King Edgar's charter for the New Minster, Winchester.