Historia Et Cartularium Monasterii Sancti Petri Gloucestriae 3 Volume Set

Multiple copy pack
The abbey of St Peter, which later became Gloucester Cathedral, had its origins in the seventh century and was re-established in the eleventh. It benefited considerably from Norman patronage, growing in importance, size and wealth. Henry III was crowned there in 1216, and it is where Edward II was buried. It subsequently became a place of pilgrimage, and received several benefactions from Edward III. These volumes, edited by W. H. Hart and published between 1863 and 1867, contain over a thousand charters, arranged by location rather than date. The cartulary remains a valuable source of information on medieval manorial landholding in the West Country.